By Grace Vasquez
I love to see gifts under the tree! However, the hubby and I have decided that this Christmas we would concentrate on doing things together instead of spending so much on gifts. In fact, he surprised me with tickets to the Tran Siberian Orchestra concert! Awesome! So if you’re still struggling to come up with a gift idea for that hard-to-buy for person in your family, you may want to think about getting them an experience, rather than an actual tangible gift.
According to a new survey, 95 million Americans would rather get a gift of experience than any other form of present, including gift certificates. Some of the top choices include going on a helicopter tour (39%), going on a private tour of a museum (32%) and petting a panda at the zoo (27%). One experience they don’t want is spending time with their in-laws. The survey finds that only 9% of people would want to spend an entire week with their in-laws. Those poor in-laws, always the butt of jokes!
Survey also found that many of these people are willing to trade something just to get a gift of experience! For example:
- 47% of people in relationships say they would more be likely to have sex with a significant other if they received an experience rather than a material gift (Wow, seriously? This is an option?)
- 46% of Americans would be willing to sleep an hour less each night for the entire holiday season to get an amazing experience instead of a gift certificate (All right, don’t get crazy! Nothing beats sleep.)
- 37%of those polled would give up sex for a week to get an experiential gift (It always comes back to the s-e-x doesn’t it?)
- 29% would give up their cell phones for a week for an experiential gift (Again, don’t get crazy!)
- 75% of Millennials would do anything in exchange for an incredible experience (Not surprised, Millenial’s mean zero dinero baby!)
Now my only request is that if my hubby gets me an experiential gift I want it gift wrapped in a really big box! ~grace